Saturday, April 07, 2007

Cash Cow?

Most people don't know this, but I make pretty decent money on the side when I get the work. The only problem with this "sidejob" is that it's woefully inconsistent. Maria's boss wants me to make 15 of these things for him, and at $150 a pop it'll add up to pay off our uber fanci appliances (note: front end loading washing machine that Maria just could not live without). No, it's nothing criminal, and no I'm not ashamed to admit what it is that I do. It's just that I like to keep up the interest so you'll read this blog to then end just to be letdown (like usual).

Now that the work on the house will be completely done on the inside by early this summer, I want to get the word out and actually start a little business and see where that leads. I also have a part-time job as the "Media & Technology Director" for my Church

My church wants me to start uploading the videos and intros that I make for them to a website that lets you keep 50% of the profits... so in turn that will pay my part-time salary. But there is a part of me that says "Hey, I can just go do that on my own on the side and keep all the income, not just the 100 bucks a week church pays me. But then a part of me has a problem with that.. my friend Phil works in a part-time company "spinoff" of our church called Encompass. That branch of our church does media and technology for events for other churches, school, groups whatever. He does this and doesn't make any extra money for it.. it all goes back into the church.

So yeah, I have sort of learned how to use many a video editing, photo editing, graphics animation program over the past 2-3 years, and I see it as a way to help me and my family out... but I'm not sure how to go about doing it (without alienating people at church who I consider friends).

No comments: