Monday, February 05, 2007

Driving Me Crazy

I hate my car. I have a hulking Gold colored piece of crap that I drag around with me to get around. Seriously, the car has major league issues with nearly everything a modern day American-Made piece of engineering brilliance is supposed to do. Here is a off the top 'o my head list:

Bad brakes - Check
Super squeaky power steering - Check
Cracked windshield - Check
Front Bumper is about to fall off - Check
Heat works only on days when you don't really need it - Check
Leaks Oil - Check
Leaks radiator fluid - Check
Windshield wipers suck - Check
The color is barftastic - Check
The trunk is full of crap - Check
The tires leak air - Check
The tape deck eats your tape adaptor for your Creative Zen Micro mp3 player, so you can no longer enjoy the swinging sounds of "The Rocket Summer" on your way to work and/or play - Check
3 of 4 hubcaps are missing - Check
The center brakelight dosen't work - Check
It stalls out at least twice in the morning before I get onto the main road - Check

That is just a quick glance of my pimp ride that I have the privlidge of calling my own. I just got it back from the shop, it died on me Saturday evening on my way home. It just completely cut out and all my guages went crazy. I drifted to the curb and tried to peek under the hood (I havne't taken either of our cars to a shop since we have been married), i'm pretty good with working on cars. I've replaced my radiator, water pump, alternator, oil, headlight fluid, thermostat, brakes, serpentine belt.. you name it. But I knew this one was an electrical problem from the start. usually something makes a lound "bang" and I can pop the hood and see something is clearly broken.

So the mechanic calls me this morning saying "I think your main computer and most of your other electronics are probably fried". Great... I car barely worth putting gas in is gonna need like over a grand dumped into it to work. I tell him i'll be by later in the week to get it and we hang up. He calls me back about an hour later and says "well, I messed around with it a little more and I hit the relay with a hammer and now it starts up.. but you really need to change that relay or it's going to do this again." Woo Hoo I think... maybe I can fix this myself... "how much would it cost to fix" I ask. "about $575" I'm silent for a few seconds and tell him i'll just come by and pick it up later today. "But you already got 100 bucks into it..." haha.. yeah, 100 bucks and 600 bucks is a big difference in my book... thanks but i'll be in to pick it up later

So now i'm driving a ticking time-bomb... I just happen to have a hammer in the trunk, so I should be golden.

No comments: