Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Wife Thought I Was Being Dumb

Most men (and women.. well... probably not women, not that many at least) who have a yard to maintain probably can relate to this. Whenever I use my weed-eater or anything else that vibrates a lot (like a chainsaw.. etc.) I get what I call "itchy arms". This past weekend I got done with a weed wacking session and after I was done I started itching my arms to help the itchiness go away. I told Maria that I get this every time I use power tools that vibrate my hands and arms for any extended period of time. She laughed and said it was from the pollen and grass particles landing on my skin.

So... what do you know? It's a medical condition (or can become one with prolonged continuous use of vibrating power tools) called HAVS or Hand-Arm Vibration Syndrome.

Anybody else deal with this or am I just a freak?

5 comments:

Maria said...

I really don't thin kthat this is what you have!

The little flecks of grass blow up and get on your skin and they make you itchy.

You're totally neurotic!

Chad said...

I know that it's not related to grass flecks because it happens when I use the saw-zaw and when I was working inside the fruitland house... wearing freaking layers of clothes because the house was 20 degrees last winter without the heat on.

I know my itchiness is HAVS!

Angela James said...

I hate to be a tie-breaker in a marital argument, but this is the same reason that repetitive movement and use of power tools can cause carpal tunnel syndrome. It doesn't even have to be that you have the syndrome itself, just that you're feeling the effect the rapid vibrations have on your nerves. It's not uncommon for people to have some discomfort w/power tool use for this reason.

/end Occupational Therapist lecture.

Sorry, Maria!

QBall said...

i get the shakes pretty bad after i weed whack... it's only barely noticeable with the lawnmower for the first or second cuts of the season. The weed whacker consistently does it to me for hours afterwards.

Maria said...

OK, since Angie has a degree, I'll let you claim medical deficiency in this case;)